Friday, August 14, 2009

Savings Question

My mind is not really on money or politics as I get ready to go out to AZ tomorrow morning. However, can anyone explain the different pricing (rates) on these CD's from HSBC Direct?

https://www.hsbcdirect.com/1/2/1/default/learn-more/ocd?code=CSM0000630&WT.ac=HBUS_CSM0000630

To me the 12 month one sticks out as a no-brainer. Are they just trying to reel you in or is there a reason I'm not considering that the 12 month offer seems mispriced?

Compare the above to ING Direct:

http://home.ingdirect.com/products/products.asp?s=OrangeCD

I know the absolute return is laughable, but that 12 month HSBC CD seems like a relative deal.

I assume neither of the above banks believes that anyone is going to sign up for a CD of greater duration than 12 months in today's environment, so maybe HSBC is only planning on shorter duration customers and therefore use the longer dated CD's as marketing for that 12 monther. It made me curious.

Have a great weekend!

-2outof4

No comments:

Post a Comment